Coleslaw can be so much more than cabbage and mayonnaise. I like to make slaw as a fresh salad using the vegetables I have sitting around.This healthy salad recipe utilizes some of the banana squash (a really big squash to contend with) and some jicama. You can follow the recipe or exercise your own artistic license.
- 3 cups shredded winter squash
- 3 cups green cabbage, ribbon cut in very thin strips
- 3 tbsp finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh celery (with leaves as available), finely chopped
- ¼ jicama, peeled and shredded
- ½ cup Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- Salt to taste
Prepare as noted and mix all of the veggies in a large bowl. Pour vinaigrette over the vegetables and stir until evenly coated. This can be eaten immediately or stored for a day’ish.
Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- 1 tbsp prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp vinegar (I chose a tasty marouva vinegar for this one)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- dash red pepper
Place all ingredients in a glass jar (with a lid). Seal tightly and shake until well mixed and creamy. This can be stored in the refrigerator for a week.
Incoming search terms:
- healthy coleslaw dressing